Type: B2.1 Assignment
The lecture at the start of the assignment quickly made me realise that there are many specifications for something to work with a mold. I learned for example that an “undercut” causes a lot of problems and extra costs for a cast that is already a huge investment. Another is that, though I already knew there are a lot of plastics, that there are literally thousands of different kinds of plastic! Plastics that bend, can be coloured, are safe for food, are heat resistant, etc. Everyone has to be chosen thoroughly to both meet regulations, functions and looks.
But perhaps the most important thing I have learned is that nearly everything is visually optimized to be able to come out of a mold properly. There are parting lines, slanted edges and hidden filling points in well thought out places. This is essential for any business, for a mold that has an extra moving part, or is slightly harder to use, costs millions on the long run.
To put what I learned into work I created a mold of a small, hollow lightbulb and then cast the bulb out of bronze. The biggest challenge was creating a mold that produced a hollow